EDUCATION FOR BADASS PHOTOGRAPHERS
foundations of journalism
learn how to look for & tell the truth in stories
Available as an Ebook
For immediate download
Guided By Johanne Lila Larsen
- Single Course - €50
- Join us as a Listed Photographer and take 15% off all courses.
Family photojournalism is nothing new. But PAID family photojournalism is new, and we as an industry are treading virgin territory: What defines family pj? Why are there ethics? What IS the pj part anyway?
Good news! Because at the heart of any genre that has the word ‘journalism’ in it, is (wait for it) journalism!
It might be an evolving brand of our work – but it has been a profession for decades and carry a deep history and some very accessible techniques.
I am here to help you dive into the foundations of what journalism is. We will look at what is the most important part of journalism is, which essentially is being a truth teller. We will look at how that works and why it is important.
Being committed to looking for truth and then giving the truth back to a broader public is what makes a journalist. Without the commitment to truth telling what is left is fiction. Fiction can be wonderful! Movies, books = gold. But it is not journalism.
This class will not make you a hard news rat over night, but it will teach you the basic elements of journalism.
- That includes inviting you to think about the element of truth in the journalism you meet in the world – and in your own work. How do we know it is true? How can we tell real journalism from alternative facts? Why is it so important?
- It will give you a better foundation for understanding what all the hoopla is about, when people get all heated talking about ethics and codes for family photojournalism. And why those things are critical to what we do.
- We will look at the elements that make a story. Both in our work as family photojournalists, but also in the world around us. It will help you become better at ‘reporting’ from the families you shoot. But:
- You will even get a very special chance to go on assignment in your own community! We will develop your own idea for a story, you will get a few day to do it, and then we will be reporting the stories back to the class! All to help you get the principles of journalism better integrated. Don’t worry, I will be at your side the entire time helping and guiding you. Maybe it will even get you exited about journalism in general to find ways to broaden your business!