“Creating Deeper Documentary Images” is a twelve-week, intense, assignment-based course with the ultimate goal of mastering proven processes that will help photographers create deeper, content-rich documentary images on a consistent basis.
- The course will begin with an overview of how to approach and assess scenes, lens choice, and aperture choice before shooting begins. Students will learn how to compose critical elements of chaotic scenes so that subjects are communicated clearly and universally to viewers.
- Students will learn how to infuse elements of composition and layers into their photography as well as dissect images with these elements to determine how, if, and why they work.
- Finally, students will demonstrate mastery of the taught techniques by completing a culminating project with a mini essay in a cinematic fashion.
Class will meet via Video Google Hangout six times over the course of twelve weeks (approximately every two weeks). Active attendance and participation is crucial to student success. Students will be given assignments in class and will have approximately ten days to complete and submit their work (via Dropbox).
Individual classes will be divided into two sessions: Seminar and Instruction. Seminar will focus on student work from the prior assignment and Instruction will look ahead at the new lesson and assignment.
Video classes are expected to last approximately three hours.
(Content will be a mix of written, video classes, assignments, etc.)
DURATION: 12 weeks
CAPACITY: 16 students
COST: €989 + 15% off for Listed Photographers
(Circa US$1149 depending on current exchange rate) Payment Plans Available
PREREQUSITES: Students must be driven to create strong documentary images. Students must have a solid command of the technical aspects of a manual camera (manual exposure preferred).
- General Approach To Documentary Shooting: “Slow Down, Stop Down, Sit Down”
- Finding Solid Image to Ground Relationships (making images more readable)
- Effectively Using Layers (creating images with more depth)
- Incorporating Elements of Composition
- Learning to Shoot Cinematically (Mini Essay)
- And more...
A BIT ABOUT CHUCK:
When he’s not behind the camera, Chuck’s career has been in secondary education for the past eighteen years where he has worked as a Social Studies teacher, Photography teacher, and is currently a full time Dean of Students for a Philadelphia public high school. During this time, Chuck has created two high school photography programs and has inspired the next generation of photographers for the past eleven years. He is a proud husband and father to three sons, ages 7-13. You can see his personal work at www.growingupanerino.tumblr.com and follow him on Instagram at
More about Chuck, here.
*This cost of this workshop may vary depending on discount codes for listed photographers and payment plan options.